Wednesday, July 27, 2011

IPP = Independent Practice Period (for future reference)

Soooo independent practice has begun. 4 weeks of work independently!

My goals over the IPP are:

*Complete draft one of "Hit/Sparky" (Short film) Work with others on this and send parts to David Geary to get feedback. I am really investigating structure and time in this piece at the moment...I am hugely inspired by the structure of Quentin Tarantinos work. For example Reservoir dogs where Mr. Orange is shot and dying first..then we find out later how it happens and it meets up to that point again. It's really interesting that people create and star in theatre shows..I want to create and star in films! (Just like Tarantino does)
I am also doing a" Brown Ink sessions" one day workshop with Victor Rodger- I want to take some of this material as well as nuance writing.

*Write and submit (at least) one radio play to Radio New Zealand. I am trying to kill two birds here...I think I can make a radio play from the material we make for nuance, or make from what I'm discovering with "Hit/Sparky". One thing being--I love high adrenaline thriller/action type movies that keep you on the edge (I watched Black Swan last night and loved it!!....I was so freaked out I fell off the couch--true story) How can I create something like this in a radio play without it being melodramatic?

*Enter Sunday Star times short story (enter this to RNZ also) and poetry competition (late aug/late sep closing dates) Also, can double up with one submitted to RNZ although I hope to have multiple offers.

*Research, write,make material and test ideas for NUANCE "Walk a mile in our shoes"---Currently meeting up with Catherine Croft and sharing writing we have been doing based on memories that were heightened emotional experiences involving food. It's really exciting....Onto the images maps we go....

*Research Conference work ---"How do I transpose the subtlety and ease I find in screen work to theatre?"
I am watching the classics for this....So far I have watched Pulp fiction, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Reservoir Boys, The Graduate and am currently watching The Godfather Part one. Adam McCauley put me onto this as he said "How can you expect to work in an industry you're not familiar with at all?". ...So So true...So thanks Adam.

ONE IDEA: I want to know how I can be relaxed in any role in theatre whether its as a writer, deviser, outside eye or actor..How do I maintain that rigour with ease? I find this ease when working on screen because I have a very focused role and a clear container in which I can perform (Shot size etc)- Can I give myself these limitations or this sense of focus on the stage? or in the rehearsal room?

I found a sense of ease from reading/doing exercises from "The Confident performer" by David Roland- there definitely is a key idea in "focus". I was working with making sure my thoughts were task relevant before and during the show and this helped me stay present. PREPARATION is also a big one for me!

I still do want to focus in on extending what I have found onscreen.(Main focus after graduation will be screen acting) I want to cultivate and explore being able to "internalise" or bury emotion and not feel like I have to push anything...How can I explore through action and not showing?

I have just gotten out"The camera smart actor" by Richard Brestoff to help with my knowledge of screen acting technically. How can this help me relax as I gain more awareness of the process itself?


For this I am also doing the screen acting workshop with Nathalie Boltt in week four of the IPP with 7 other classmates. I spoke to her about my wishes to find ease onscreen and develop this further...I am looking forward to this :)

* Practice my work as an outside with ALT'native. (Adrian, Tawanda and Leroy)- I am really interested in the type of work they want to make as it aligns strongly with the type of work I love and spoke about earlier in the blog...HIGH OCTANE theatre.... How can I contribute with ease, but not be passive within this role? Practicing the muscle of seeing potential and feeding back about it.

*Headshots and showreels- Very practical. I want to be able to charge into the screen industry after graduation and begin auditioning. No mucking around!

Well thats me for now..I will keep this updated and keep trucking a long with my research and writing! Its really helpful to clear things up in my head like this...


YOU~! Yes you.....If YOU know of any movies I should watch or any material/companies you can refer me to as part of my research I would be hugely grateful! Contributions always welcome!


Thanks for reading :)

Te Rina

No comments:

Post a Comment