Thursday, March 29, 2012

The real world....


Alrighty...Havent written in this blog for a really long time. Just looking back over my thinking over secondment and third year and theres no reason I cant keep doing this.

Thats the thing with this rollercoaster... Its built on questions.

Its 30 March 2012. Ive spent the last two months in Australia saving for what I thought I wanted....to travel to Europe. But what I think I really needed was the distance and space to realise just how much I love theatre, performing and the arts and how many connections and potential collaborators I have made from the opportunities Toi Whakaari gave me.

Being so intensely involved in drama for three years was tiring and I definitely became complacent in certain ways. Not doing it anymore, makes me realise how lucky I was and that I really cant imagine doing anything else.

My Big Questions/Ideas on my mind:

-Realising your first show
I have an idea for a show I want to make a reality. I wont lie- its a scary thought and I always convinced myself that I wasn't capable. That was pure fear talking. But I can either sit around waiting for the phone to ring or....make my own opportunities.

-Imagination
This has been in my thinking for a while now. Its such a key part of acting and was a thread that ran through everything I did at drama school. Whether it was becoming my bouffon "Rolf" and giving into it or the imagination mapping I did during solos....its always been there. How do I as a performer take my focus away from " ME" to the specifics of the world the character is in? My attention needs to be on the givens and not how I am doing....this is how I've had moments where I suprised myself onstage.

-Music and Me
Its always been there. I absolutely love songwriting and my big step is going to be doing something about it. After all, I want my music to be out there. Its not about it being "ready". GOAL: Record an EP this year.
Its also been a huge part of my acting work. "bite sized theatre" was a musical theatre piece, my scene unseen was from RENT and Ive always found a sense of freedom when theres music.
This goes way back to my recall weekend for drama school (where around 40 applicants are auditioned and have classes to decide the next intake of acting students)...I was a bit self conscious but the moment Tom put on music I just closed my eyes and let go.
I think theres learning in that for me.

-Comparisons
I feel like this is HUGE! There are 15 other people that graduated with me. Some of them have already done some amazing work. It would be easy to get into the comparison game but I'm not really interested in that. I think this is the type of thinking that would really stop me putting on work....Ye olde Fear again...


Phew.


I thought living on two minute noodles was hard.

Please leave a comment if you read this- would love to hear your thoughts!






No comments:

Post a Comment